Re: Expanded information template

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgresCluster ML <pgsql-cluster-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Expanded information template
Date: 2010-03-29 04:38:57
Lists: pgsql-cluster-hackers
Brendan Jurd wrote:
> Could you elaborate on what it was exactly that you found difficult?
> It should have been as simple as a straight copy-paste of the wiki
> source from the Slony page, and then just replace the values in there
> with whatever was said about pgpool.
>
> Maybe I'm too close to the problem, but I don't see any wiki-fu
> required to use the template ... you just separate the arguments with
> pipes, right?

Accidentally wipe out or insert a new pipe character
anywhere--particularly one around the information section where there's
a series of "yes|no|yes" type of stuff--and it's nearly impossible to
fix that if you don't notice until after a bunch of other editing.
That's what I did; ended up accidentally moving one pipe character from
one spot to another, didn't catch it immediately, and after half an hour
I gave up because I couldn't figure out how to get everything in the
right section to recover from that.  It was actually displaying the "|"
in the text for me at one point for no reason I could figure out.

Copying from another full entry is dangerous too, because it's easy to
not update every field that way and be left with an inaccurate mix of
the two.  I'd rather we end up where we can suggest people use the
template entry instead and not have that be too difficult.

> Keywords would be fine ... I'll update the template to use them and
> fix the Slony page.

I think that will be enough to address the main things I found difficult
about the current template.