Updating table, precautions?

From: "Anjan Dave" <adave(at)vantage(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Updating table, precautions?
Date: 2005-04-22 21:50:29
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi there,

We need to update a table of about 1.2GB (and about 900k rows) size. I
was wondering if I should let the regular cron job take care of clean up
(vacuum db Mon-Sat, vacuum full on Sun, followed by Reindex script), or
manually do this on the table followed by the update.

This is what I used to find the table size, which probably doesn't
include the index size. Is there a way to find out size of indexes?

select relpages * 8192 as size_in_bytes from pg_class where relnamespace
= (select oid from pg_namespace where nspname = 'public') and relname =
'r_itemcategory';

Thanks,

Anjan

******************
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are intended for the use
of the
addressee(s) only and may be confidential and covered by the
attorney/client
and other privileges. If you received this e-mail in error, please
notify the
sender; do not disclose, copy, distribute, or take any action in
reliance on
the contents of this information; and delete it from your system. Any
other
use of this e-mail is prohibited.