Updating table, precautions?

From: "Anjan Dave" <adave(at)vantage(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Updating table, precautions?
Date: 2005-04-22 21:50:29
Lists: pgsql-performance
Hi there,
We need to update a table of about 1.2GB (and about 900k rows) size. I
was wondering if I should let the regular cron job take care of clean up
(vacuum db Mon-Sat, vacuum full on Sun, followed by Reindex script), or
manually do this on the table followed by the update.
This is what I used to find the table size, which probably doesn't
include the index size. Is there a way to find out size of indexes?
select relpages * 8192 as size_in_bytes from pg_class where relnamespace
= (select oid from pg_namespace where nspname = 'public') and relname =

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are intended for the use
of the
addressee(s) only and may be confidential and covered by the
and other privileges.  If you received this e-mail in error, please
notify the
sender; do not disclose, copy, distribute, or take any action in
reliance on
the contents of this information; and delete it from your system. Any
use of this e-mail is prohibited.

pgsql-performance by date

Next:From: Josh BerkusDate: 2005-04-22 22:33:26