Re: [PERFORM] Quad processor options

From: "Anjan Dave" <adave(at)vantage(dot)com>
To: "Bjoern Metzdorf" <bm(at)turtle-entertainment(dot)de>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Pgsql-Admin (E-mail)" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Quad processor options
Date: 2004-05-11 19:32:57
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-performance

We use XEON Quads (PowerEdge 6650s) and they work nice, provided you configure the postgres properly. Dell is the cheapest quad you can buy i think. You shouldn't be paying 30K unless you are getting high CPU-cache on each processor and tons of memory.

I am actually curious, have you researched/attempted any postgresql clustering solutions? I agree, you can't just keep buying bigger machines.

They have 5 internal drives (4 in RAID 10, 1 spare) on U320, 128MB cache on the PERC controller, 8GB RAM.

Thanks,
Anjan