invalid multibyte character for locale

From: "Anjan Dave" <adave(at)vantage(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: invalid multibyte character for locale
Date: 2006-01-30 16:23:09
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

Recently I restored a database from 7.4.1 (RHAS3.0) to 8.0.3 (RHAS4.0),
and now we are running into locale issues:

[22:03] WARN SECUserDAO () - Problem retrieving user by username.
org.sourceforge.jxutil.sql.I18nSQLException: sqlError[invalid multibyte
character for locale]

ERROR: invalid multibyte character for locale

HINT: The server's LC_CTYPE locale is probably incompatible with the
database e

ncoding.

ERROR: invalid multibyte character for locale

HINT: The server's LC_CTYPE locale is probably incompatible with the
database e

ncoding.

The original database is in UNICODE, and so is the new database, on
8.0.3. I am reading the pg doc about locale and character set encoding,
but with the source and target database having been created with same
encoding, I am not sure why the LC_CTYPE may not be compatible with
UNICODE.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Anjan

This email message and any included attachments constitute confidential
and privileged information intended exclusively for the listed
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please notify
Vantage by immediately telephoning 215-579-8390, extension 1158. In
addition, please reply to this message confirming your receipt of the
same in error. A copy of your email reply can also be sent to
mailto:support(at)vantage(dot)com <blocked::mailto:support(at)vantage(dot)com> .
Please do not disclose, copy, distribute or take any action in reliance
on the contents of this information. Kindly destroy all copies of this
message and any attachments. Any other use of this email is prohibited.
Thank you for your cooperation. For more information about Vantage,
please visit our website at http://www.vantage.com.