GUC variables in parameter URL

From: Daniel Migowski <dmigowski(at)ikoffice(dot)de>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: GUC variables in parameter URL
Date: 2010-03-26 11:19:16
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
Hi all,

I want to bring the old discussion on GUC variables in the JDBC
connection string back. Currently I definitely need to set the schema
search path, and all I got is the connection URL, because it is in a
place where we alternatively use Microsoft SQL server connection URLs.

Of course I can change the clients code, but this would be a real mess.

The only reason I found which spoke against adding them, was: "If we do,
people stop using the config files and enter all parameters into the
url, and this make them hard to type." Despite the fact that this are
two wrong assumptions in one sentence, we speak about providing
possibilities for cases where other possibilities are lacking.

What are your opinions on this? If this feature is not yet available, I
would even implement this myself in the driver, by issuing a SET command
on startup sending all the parameters starting with "guc_".

Regards,
Daniel Migowski

pgsql-jdbc by date

Next:From: John AbrahamDate: 2010-03-26 14:05:24