Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add connection messages for streaming replication.

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add connection messages for streaming replication.
Date: 2010-03-24 11:22:47
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:
> So we might have a pg_hba.conf that looks like this
>
> TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD
> host "replication" foo 192.168.0.5 md5
> host replication foo 192.168.0.5 md5
>
> Which looks pretty strange.
> I think we should change that, though if not we should at least document
> it.

The default pg_hba.conf says:

> # Database and user names containing spaces, commas, quotes and other
> # special characters must be quoted. Quoting one of the keywords
> # "all", "sameuser", "samerole" or "replication" makes the name lose
> # its special character, and just match a database or username with
> # that name.

but I don't see any mention of that in the docs. How about:

*** client-auth.sgml 24 Mar 2010 09:44:06 +0200 1.134
--- client-auth.sgml 24 Mar 2010 13:21:16 +0200
***************
*** 77,84 ****
a set of records, one per line. Blank lines are ignored, as is any
text after the <literal>#</literal> comment character. A record is made
up of a number of fields which are separated by spaces and/or tabs.
! Fields can contain white space if the field value is quoted. Records
! cannot be continued across lines.
</para>

<para>
--- 77,87 ----
a set of records, one per line. Blank lines are ignored, as is any
text after the <literal>#</literal> comment character. A record is made
up of a number of fields which are separated by spaces and/or tabs.
! Fields can contain white space if the field value is quoted.
! Quoting one of the keywords in database or username field (e.g "all"
! or "replication") makes the name lose its special character, and just
! match a database or username with that name. Records cannot be
! continued across lines.
</para>

<para>

> That probably tips the balance towards having the alternate wording:
> LOG: replication connection authorized: user=foo

+1

--
Heikki Linnakangas