PostgreSQL 2009-03-15 Cumulative Bug-Fix Release

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL 2009-03-15 Cumulative Bug-Fix Release
Date: 2010-03-15 15:49:13
Lists: pgsql-announce

The PostgreSQL Project today released minor versions updating all active
branches of the PostgreSQL object-relational database system, including
versions 8.4.3, 8.3.10, 8.2.16, 8.1.20, 8.0.24, and 7.4.28. This release
provides a workaround for some third-party SSL libraries, as well as
multiple fixes for minor uptime and data integrity issues. All
database administrators are urged to update your version of PostgreSQL
at your next scheduled downtime.

The SSL security issue CVE-2009-3555 in some SSL libraries has caused
many vendors to release security patches. To enable PostgreSQL to work
with these patched versions for SSL database connections, we have added
the new parameter "ssl_renegotiation_limit" to control how often the
database server will renegotiate session keys.

There are 47 other bug fixes in this release, many of which apply only
to version 8.4. These are generally fixes for minor issues and
combinational errors, including:

* Fix potential deadlock during startup
* Remove several possible rare crash conditions
* Fix several minor data-loss issues with GIN and GiST indexes
* Close two corner-case memory leaks
* Update time zone data for 6 regions

See the release notes for a full list of changes with details. The
PostgreSQL Global Development Group thanks all of our users whose
bug reports over the last 3 months enabled us to find and fix these
issues.

As with other minor releases, users are not required to dump and reload
their database in order to apply this update release; you may simply
shut down PostgreSQL and update its binaries. Users skipping more than
one update may need to check the release notes for extra, post-update steps.

* Release Notes
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release.html
* Installation Packages
http://www.postgresql.org/download/
* Source Code
http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/

The PostgreSQL Global Development Group will stop releasing updates for
PostgreSQL versions 7.4 and 8.0 after June of 2010. We urge users of
those versions to start planning to upgrade now.

-- PostgreSQL Global Development Team