Re: Server crash with older tzload library

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Jeevan Chalke <jeevan(dot)chalke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server crash with older tzload library
Date: 2010-03-12 07:40:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
>> No, Jeevan is talking about tzcode, not tzdata. The zoneinfo library is
>> split into two parts, we update the data part at each release, but we
>> don't sync up our code with upstream code changes regularly.
>
> It strikes me that maybe we are putting ourselves at risk by blithely
> pushing tzdata updates into back branches without also pushing tzcode
> updates.

I believe they're designed to be compatible both ways, I remember that
the 64-bit changes in particular were done in such a way that new tzdata
files work with older tzcode versions. I don't know if anyone else is
testing various combinations, though, so it probably would be good to
update tzcode anyway.

> However, doing this would mean updating the back branches for
> 64bit tzdata, which is not a small change. Heikki, do you remember how
> much that patch affected stuff outside the tzcode files proper?

There was no changes outside tzcode files.

--
Heikki Linnakangas