Re: pg_stop_backup does not complete

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_stop_backup does not complete
Date: 2010-03-02 13:32:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 13:13 +0000, Greg Stark wrote:
>
>> Why do we disallow turning off archive_mode anyways?
>>

> Because it is needed for safety and nobody has got around to coding the
> idea of turning it on/off during normal running, which is possible, with
> appropriate care.

It's actually made it pretty high up on the list of desired features for
some of the replication projects:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/ClusterFeatures#Start.2Fstop_archiving_at_runtime

Since that is one of the easier items on that list to actually knock off
(probably an order of magnitude so than the average feature there), it's
completely feasible somebody will do so for 9.1.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us