Re: pg_stop_backup does not complete

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_stop_backup does not complete
Date: 2010-03-02 06:27:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 2:47 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
>
>> Postgres 9.0 will be the first release to mention /bin/true as a way of
>> turning off archiving in extraordinary circumstances:
>>
>>        http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/runtime-config-wal.html
>>
>> Setting archive_mode to a command that does nothing but return true, e.g. /bin/true,
>>

> "return true" seems ambiguous for me. How about writing clearly
> "return a zero exit status" instead?

This is a good catch, and I have a work in progress update to that doc
section that fixes that wording, as well as rearranging the recent
additions a bit.  Really that whole "/bin/true" big needs to go after
the example.  A very brief intro to what "exit status" means on various
platforms might be in order too.  I'm adjusting all that to read better,
once I'm happy with it I'll submit a doc patch in the next week or two
with the final result.