Re: Re: Hot Standby query cancellation and Streaming Replication integration

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Hot Standby query cancellation and Streaming Replication integration
Date: 2010-03-02 06:21:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote:
> I just read through the current documentation and it doesn't really
> seem to explain very much about how HS decides which queries to kill.
> Can someone try to flesh that out a bit?

I believe it just launches on a mass killing spree once things like
max_standby_delay expire.  This I want to confirm via testing (can
simulate with a mix of long and short running pgbench queries) and then
intend to update the docs to clarify.

> It also uses the term
> "buffer cleanup lock", which doesn't seem to be used anywhere else in
> the documentation (though it does appear in the source tree, including
> README.HOT).

This loose end was already noted in my last docs update.  I wrote an
initial description, but Bruce and I decided to leave out until
something more thorough could be put together.  This is also on my docs
cleanup list, will get to it somewhere along the beta timeline.