Re: Re: Hot Standby query cancellation and Streaming Replication integration

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Hot Standby query cancellation and Streaming Replication integration
Date: 2010-03-01 22:32:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On 2/28/10 7:12 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
>> However, I'd still like to hear from someone with the requisite
>> > technical knowledge whether capturing and retrying the current query in
>> > a query cancel is even possible.
>
> I'm not sure who you want to hear from here, but I think that's a dead end.

"dead end" as in "too hard to implement"?  Or for some other reason?

It's undeniable that auto-retry would be better from a user's
perspective than a user-visible cancel.  So if it's *reasonable* to
implement, I think we should be working on it.  I'm also very puzzled as
to why nobody else wants to even discuss it; it's like some wierd blackout.

--Josh Berkus