Re: continuous copy/update one table to another

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: continuous copy/update one table to another
Date: 2010-03-01 00:29:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Szymon Guz wrote:
> Different doesn't mean that the id should be greater or lower, rather
> should be different. I'd rather do something like:

indeed, my code assumed that records were only INSERT'd into table1 and
never UPDATE or DELETE'd. my statement -did- have the advantage of
being fast, at least assuming the id is an index on both tables. if
you do update records, you could use a seperate SERIAL/BIGSERIAL field
for this, which you update on your INSERT's, and use this bigserial for
your inserts, but you'd need a UPSERT kind of function to handle
duplicate primary keys.

checking for deletions will be more difficult and more importantly, more
time consuming as it will likely require multiple full table scans of
both tables.