Re: Re: Hot Standby query cancellation and Streaming Replication integration

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Hot Standby query cancellation and Streaming Replication integration
Date: 2010-02-28 20:21:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Joachim Wieland wrote:
> Instead, I assume that most people who will grab 9.0 and use HS+SR do
> already have a database with a certain query profile. Now with HS+SR
> they will try to put the most costly and longest read-only queries to
> the standby but in the end will run the same number of queries with
> the same overall complexity.

This is a nice summary of the primary use-case I am trying to optimize
usability for, because I know for a fact there's a stack of pent-up
requests for exactly this form of improvement from existing warm standby
users.  And your subsequent discussion of how administrators will react
in each of the possible configurations here matches my own concerns.  I
would highly recommend anyone who feels this is not a critical feature
to fix carefully read Joachim's message from an advocacy perspective,
that's a better user-oriented prediction than mine of exactly how this
is going to play out in the field post-release.