Re: Cluster feature: Start/stop archiving at runtime

From: Martin Pihlak <martin(dot)pihlak(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-cluster-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cluster feature: Start/stop archiving at runtime
Date: 2010-02-28 12:08:49
Lists: pgsql-cluster-hackers
Greg Smith wrote:
> Next up is "Start/stop archiving at runtime".  First set of questions:
>
> -Is this referring to the current PITR archiving as done via
> archive_command, does it intend to cover a wider scope than that, or is
> "archiving" being used in a general replication sense instead not
> related to that?
>
> -What is the issue with Skype and failed nodes this is alluding to?

AFAIK the only issue is that we cannot set archive_mode without restarting
Postgres. This leads to archive_mode always set to "on" and a dummy
archive_command being used. The background for this is that we don't know
in advance when we need to create a PITR clone of a particular database.

regards,
Martin