Re: Lock Wait Statistics (next commitfest)

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, gokul007(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: Lock Wait Statistics (next commitfest)
Date: 2010-02-27 22:23:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> I don't mean to be ungrateful about the actual reviews at all - and I
> did value the feedback received (which I hope was reasonably clear in
> the various replies I sent). I sense a bit of attacking the messenger
> in your tone...

I thought there was a moderately big difference between the reality of
the review you got and how you were characterizing it, and I was just
trying to provide some perspective on how bad a true "bit of review"
only would have worked. Since I saw you disclaimed that wording with a
smiley I know it wasn't intending to be ungrateful, and I didn't intend
to shoot the messenger. Apologies if my tone grazed you though.

In any case, process feedback noted and assimilated into recommended
practice: I just added a section about WIP patches to
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Submitting_a_Patch#Patch_submission

While I was in there I also added some more notes on my personal top
patch submission peeve, patches whose purpose in life is to improve
performance that don't come with associated easy to run test cases,
including a sample of that test running on a system that shows the
speedup clearly. If I were in charge I just would make it standard
project policy to reject any performance patch without those
characteristics immediately.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us