Re: Avoiding bad prepared-statement plans.

From: Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>, Jeroen Vermeulen <jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Bart Samwel <bart(at)samwel(dot)tk>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Avoiding bad prepared-statement plans.
Date: 2010-02-26 20:11:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Right, but if the parameter is unknown then its distribution is also
> unknown. In any case that's just nitpicking, because the solution is
> to create a custom plan for the specific value supplied. Or are you
> suggesting that we should create a way for users to say "here is the
> expected distribution of this parameter", and then try to fold that into
> the planner estimates?
Or instead of letting users give the distribution, gather it
automatically in some plan statistics catalog? I suspect in most
applications queries stay the same for months and maybe years, so after
some number of iterations it is possible to have decent call statistics
/ parameter distributions. Maybe the the parameter value distribution
could even be annotated with actual cached plans.

regards,
Yeb Havinga