Re: FW: Unable to install PostgreSQL on Windows Server 2003 SP2

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: William <whairs01(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FW: Unable to install PostgreSQL on Windows Server 2003 SP2
Date: 2010-02-24 20:15:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 24/02/10 13:09, William wrote:
> Hello Pqsql-hacker,
>
> I have tried everything and ask many but cannot get my Installation of your
> PostgreSQL 8.4.1.1 to install.

While you are having problems, take the opportunity to download 8.4.2
and work with that. That's the latest set of bugfixes.

> I following all the steps exactly but I
> cannot get the PostgresSQL to install on my Windows Server 2003 Datacenter
> Edition SP2. Is there a problem in installing the PostgreSQL on this version
> of Windows which is Hosted at a Host Provider. if not why will it not
> install. I have tried everything but will not install. That is why I am here
> asking you hoping you can get me past this. Following is the installer log
> files that shows everything that went on during the install.

Have you read the logs? Searching for "Error" is the best way to start.

The first occurrence in bitrock_installer.log is at line 3244. If you
read the 20 or so lines before that you will see that is says it
installed everything:
Success. You can now start the database server using...
It then fails when trying to grant access to the data directory for your
service account (the user the database runs as).
Granting service account access to the data directory (using cacls):
processed dir: D:\APPS\PostgreSQL\8.4\data
The data is invalid.
Failed to grant service account access to the data directory
(D:\APPS\PostgreSQL\8.4\data)
After that, you get more errors because the service couldn't be started.

The second logfile is identical to the first.

So - either there is a bug in the installer, or your administrator
account in the virtual server doesn't have permission to do this
installation properly. Doesn't matter which from your point of view. I'm
not a Windows expert regarding PostgreSQL, but there are some obvious
things to try.

First thing to do - check if PostgreSQL is still installed and that you
have a data directory in D:\APPS\PostgreSQL\8.4\data.

If so, try granting permission on that data directory to the "postgres"
user manually. Just right-click the folder and add full rights for
"postgres". You should then be able to start the service manually (I
think there is a menu item - if not it will be in the services control
panel).

If that all works, re-run the installer and you should be able to
re-install the adminpack etc. over the top of your now working installation.

If you didn't find the data directory, create it, grant permissions to
"postgres" and then try a full re-install.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd