Re: pg_stop_backup does not complete

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_stop_backup does not complete
Date: 2010-02-24 20:02:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Simon,

> If you have a concrete proposal, get off your soapbox and make one,
> based upon the technical information you've received. There are clear
> reasons why things are the way they are and those reasons will not be
> ignored, by me.

OK, can you go through the reasons why pg_stop_backup would not
complete?  And why it's a problem to have it complete?  I'll admit to
not understanding them; it seems to me that pg_stop_backup should just
immediately force a checkpoint and a log write, but you're obviously
trying to prevent something with the current behavior.  What are you
trying to prevent?

--Josh Berkus