Re: pg_stop_backup does not complete

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_stop_backup does not complete
Date: 2010-02-23 19:25:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> The correct resolution is to put in an archive_command that works.
One really should ensure that WAL files (or should I now say data?
;-) are flowing before issuing running the pg_start_backup()
function.  The documentation has always been pretty explicit about
| 24.3.2. Making a Base Backup
| The procedure for making a base backup is relatively simple:
| 1. Ensure that WAL archiving is enabled and working.
| 2. Connect to the database as a superuser, and issue the command:
| SELECT pg_start_backup('label');
As long as the SR documentation is equally explicit on this point,
you'd have to be blatantly going against the instructions to hit
Which makes me think that while pg_fail_backup() might actually be a
good idea, it's not really needed to solve this, so it's 9.1
material at best.