Re: Define permissions at database level

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: dipti shah <shahdipti1980(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Define permissions at database level
Date: 2010-02-18 10:31:37
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

On 18/02/10 10:23, dipti shah wrote:
> Thanks Richard. That makes sense. If I want to restrict DROP for any table
> then do I need to REVOKE permissions individually on tables.
>
> Revoke DROP ON MyTable from PUBLIC;
>
> I want to avoid doing it so I am wondering if I can define/grant the
> permission at database level so that nousers can directly use any commands
> like CREATE, UPDATE, ALTER or DROP. They have to use stored procedure. They
> can only use SELECT. Nothing else.

Only table owners can drop them.

You can deny permission to a whole schema, but not set permissions on
everything in it in one go. However there are various shell-scripts and
plpgsql functions that let you set permissions on groups of tables in
one go. They should show up easily enough through googling.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd