Re: [GENERAL] libecpg versions and libecpg_compat

From: Rob Newton <robn(at)mirrabooka(dot)com>
To: meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] libecpg versions and libecpg_compat
Date: 2010-02-18 00:08:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Meskes wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 09:44:26AM +1000, Rob Newton wrote:
>> Is there some way of building with Pg v8.0 ECPG lib and running on a
>> system with Pg v8.4 ECPG lib?  or vice versa? and is libecpg_compat
>> intended for that purpose?
>
> You can link the static library in so you're independant from the dynamic
> libraries. However, I wonder if that's a good idea. ECPG's parser is build to
> be in sync with the backend parser, i.e. ecpg 8.0 accepts all SQL statements
> that the 8.0 backend understands which is is different set than what 8.4
> understands. Also if my memory serves well, libpq has had a major version
> update between 8.0 and 8.4, so if it works at all you might find that you have
> to recompile the libraries too.
>
> Is there any reason why you cannot simply recompile your programs against 8.4?

I was hoping I wouldn't have to select a particular version of Pg to
compile against, depending on what the target server is using.  But
that may be the simplest option.  An alternative suggested by Zoltán
Böszörményi is to install the 8.0 libpq and libecpg on the target
systems, since he reckons the 8.4 server will serve 8.0 clients OK;
  or I could link statically as you suggest.

Thanks for your ideas!

Rob