Re: [GENERAL] libecpg versions and libecpg_compat

From: Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Rob Newton <robn(at)mirrabooka(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] libecpg versions and libecpg_compat
Date: 2010-02-16 08:08:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Rob Newton írta:
> Hi Hackers,
> I posted this to the GENERAL list a while back, but got no repies.
> Perhaps someone here can help...
> I've been building ECPG (embedded SQL/C) programs on a system with Pg
> version 8.0 installed.  When I tried to run them recently on version
> 8.4 I found that there was a libecpg library incompatibility:  v8.0
> uses, whereas 8.4 uses
> Then I noticed libecpg_compat in the lib area.  What is this used
> for?  "compat" suggests compatibility between different versions? But
> Pg 8.0 has, whereas Pg 8.4 has is for Informix compatibility.
It contains the Informix-specific calls.

> Is there some way of building with Pg v8.0 ECPG lib and running on a
> system with Pg v8.4 ECPG lib?  or vice versa? and is libecpg_compat
> intended for that purpose?

You can build the src/interfaces/libpq and src/interfaces/ecpg/ecpglib
directories in the old version and install them side by side with the new
version. The 8.4 server works happily with the old ECPG client.

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi

Bible has answers for everything. Proof:
"But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more
than these cometh of evil." (Matthew 5:37) - basics of digital technology.
"May your kingdom come" - superficial description of plate tectonics

Zoltán Böszörményi
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH