Re: [GENERAL] libecpg versions and libecpg_compat

From: Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Rob Newton <robn(at)mirrabooka(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] libecpg versions and libecpg_compat
Date: 2010-02-16 08:08:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Rob Newton írta:
> Hi Hackers,
> I posted this to the GENERAL list a while back, but got no repies.
> Perhaps someone here can help...
>
> I've been building ECPG (embedded SQL/C) programs on a system with Pg
> version 8.0 installed.  When I tried to run them recently on version
> 8.4 I found that there was a libecpg library incompatibility:  v8.0
> uses libecpg.so.5, whereas 8.4 uses libecpg.so.6.
>
> Then I noticed libecpg_compat in the lib area.  What is this used
> for?  "compat" suggests compatibility between different versions? But
> Pg 8.0 has libecpg_compat.so.2, whereas Pg 8.4 has libecpg_compat.so.3.

libecpg_compat.so is for Informix compatibility.
It contains the Informix-specific calls.

> Is there some way of building with Pg v8.0 ECPG lib and running on a
> system with Pg v8.4 ECPG lib?  or vice versa? and is libecpg_compat
> intended for that purpose?

You can build the src/interfaces/libpq and src/interfaces/ecpg/ecpglib
directories in the old version and install them side by side with the new
version. The 8.4 server works happily with the old ECPG client.

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi

--
Bible has answers for everything. Proof:
"But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more

Zoltán Böszörményi
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH
http://www.postgresql.at/