Re: psycopg2 license changed

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Federico Di Gregorio <fog(at)initd(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psycopg2 license changed
Date: 2010-02-15 19:12:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Federico Di Gregorio wrote:
> I just wanted all interested people know that psycopg2 2.0.14 to be
> released in the next few days will be under the LGPL3 + OpenSSL
> exception (example code and tests under the LGPL3 alone because they are
> never linked to OpenSSL).

Great news and I look forward to the release. One small thing to
consider: having more than one license can turn into a cost to users of
your software who are required to have each license reviewed for legal
issues, and I'd think that maintaining two has some cost for you too.
If it's possible for you to fold all these into a single license, that
would really be a lot nicer. Being able to say "psycopg2 is LGPL3 +
OpenSSL exception", period, is much easier for people to deal with than
having two licenses and needing to include the description you gave
above for explanation. Having to educate a lawyer on how linking works,
so they understand the subtle distinction for why the two licenses
exist, is no fun at all.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us