Documentation build issues on Debian/Ubuntu

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Documentation build issues on Debian/Ubuntu
Date: 2010-02-13 20:39:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I can't seem to build the PDF version of the documentation on any of my
Ubuntu 9.04 systems, and wonder if there's anything that can/should
should get done about it.

The problem happens like this:

gsmith(at)gsmith-desktop:~/pgwork/doc/src/sgml$ make postgres-US.pdf
openjade -D . -D . -c
/usr/share/sgml/docbook/stylesheet/dsssl/modular/catalog -d
./stylesheet.dsl -t tex -V tex-backend -i output-print -i include-index
-V texpdf-output -V '%paper-type%'=USletter -o postgres-US.tex-pdf
postgres.sgml
openjade:./stylesheet.dsl:621:2:E: flow object not accepted by port;
only display flow objects accepted
make: *** [postgres-US.tex-pdf] Segmentation fault
make: *** Deleting file `postgres-US.tex-pdf'

These "flow object not accepted by port" errors showing up and then
causing a crash go back a long ways:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-docs/2003-12/msg00024.php

There used to be a warning in the docs about not building with openjade
1.4, which is certainly what I've got here:

$ openjade --version
openjade:I: "OpenJade" version "1.4devel"
openjade:I: "OpenSP" version "1.5.2"

The problems here don't seem limited to this project; I see a similar
report of the same style of crash against some Linux kernel docbooks at

That wanders toward suggesting it's a 32/64 bit issue, but that's not
true here--I get the same crash on both architectures.

Any suggestions?

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us