Re: Parameter name standby_mode

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parameter name standby_mode
Date: 2010-02-12 09:17:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Joachim Wieland wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 8:59 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> Agreed. I've changed it now so that if primary_conninfo is not set, it
>> doesn't try to establish a streaming connection. If you want to get the
>> connection information from environment variables, you can use
>> primary_conninfo=''.
>
> Why not just remove the default:
>
> If no primary_conninfo variable is set explicitly in the configuration
> file, check the environment variables. If the environment variable is
> not set, don't try to establish a connection.

The environment variables in question are the libpq environment
variables like PGHOST, PGPORT. The server shouldn't need to know about
them. Besides, there'd still be the corner case that you really want to
use the built-in defaults, ie. connect to a server running in the same
host at the default port, so you'd not set any environment variables either.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas