Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make standby server continuously retry restoring the next WAL

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make standby server continuously retry restoring the next WAL
Date: 2010-02-11 14:55:11
Lists: pgsql-committerspgsql-docspgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
>
>> Might it not be simpler to add a parameter onto pg_standby?
>> We send %s to tell pg_standby the standby_mode of the server which is
>> calling it so it can decide how to act in each case.
>>

> That would work too, but it doesn't seem any simpler to me. On the contrary.

I don't know that the ideas are mutually exclusive.  Should the server
internals do a basic check that the files they're about to process seem
sane before processing them?  Yes.  Should we provide a full-featured
program that knows how far back it can delete archives rather than
expecting people to write their own?  Yes.  And a modified pg_standby
seems the easiest way to do that, since it already knows how to do the
computations, among other benefits.

I already have a work in progress patch to pg_standby I'm racing to
finish here that cleans up some of the UI warts in the program,
including the scary sounding and avoidable warnings Selena submitted a
patch to improve.  I think I'm going to add this feature to it, too,
whether or not it's deemed necessary.  I'm really tired of example
setups provided that say "just write a simple script using cp like
<trivial example>" and then supporting those non-production quality
messes in the field.  My scripts for this sort of thing have more error
checking in them than functional code.  And pg_standby already has a
healthy sense of paranoia built into it.