Re: Patch: Remove gcc dependency in definition of inline functions

From: Kurt Harriman <harriman(at)acm(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch: Remove gcc dependency in definition of inline functions
Date: 2010-02-10 09:43:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On 12/16/2009 8:40 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera<alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>  writes:
>> IIRC Kurt was also on about getting rid of some ugly macros that could
>> instead be coded as inline functions (fastgetattr for example)
>
> I'd just bounce that as useless activity.  If they are macros now,
> and work, the only possible effects of changing them are negative.

fastgetattr has just been changed by Robert Haas on 10 Jan 2010:
"Remove partial, broken support for NULL pointers when fetching attributes."

Changing fastgetattr to an inline function would make it

- easier to read, modify, and review for correctness

- debuggable: could set breakpoints, single-step, display the arguments

- profilable

and would make compiler warnings appear at the definition
rather than at every invocation.

Regards,
... kurt