Re: Backup history file should be replicated in Streaming Replication?

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Backup history file should be replicated in Streaming Replication?
Date: 2010-02-08 09:11:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 1:02 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
>>> src/backend/access/transam/xlog.c
>>> In my original patch, the above is for the problem discussed in
>>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-12/msg02039.php
>>>
>>> Since you've already fixed the problem, that code is useless.
>>> How about getting rid of that code?
>> Has this been addressed?
>
> No. We need to obtain the comment about that from Heikki.

I removed that.

It only makes a difference if you stop archive recovery, remove
recovery.conf, and start up again, causing the server to do normal crash
recovery. That's a "don't do that" scenario, but it seems better to not
clear minRecoveryPoint, even though we don't check it during crash
recovery. It might be useful debug information, and also if you then put
recovery.conf back, we will enforce that you reach the minRecoveryPoint
again.

--
Heikki Linnakangas