Re: Updating Ubuntu package info

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgadmin-support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Updating Ubuntu package info
Date: 2010-02-04 22:40:47
Lists: pgadmin-support

Le 04/02/2010 18:30, Greg Smith a écrit :
> Dave Page wrote:
>> pgAdmin 1.12 will be released before, or with PostgreSQL 9.0, so there
>> won't be a version of Ubuntu shipping with an incompatible PostgreSQL
>> and pgAdmin combination. That's how we've done it for the last 10
>> years or so.
>>

> I got that part already. My thought was just that were it possible to
> include a trivial fix and backport something that's beyond completely
> broken into 1.10, that might be worth doing. Now that I see your list
> of additional issues here I see why that's not practical even if
> resources were available, which they aren't.
>
> So it sounds like everybody who has an opinion here would like me to
> build a PPA of the current development snapshot on at least some
> semi-regular interval. To follow Ubuntu guidelines, I should use a
> version number between the official ones and what is expected to be used
> in the next major release. I believe we'll see:
>
> Lucid Lynx 10.4: pgadmin3_1.10.1-1
> Masturbating Minx 10.10: pgadmin3_1.12.X-1 (I swear, it's on the
> possible codename list!)

lol, the best codename I ever heard :)

> So the PPAs I build should be pgadmin3_1.11.1-1~ppa1 I think. That
> would be accepted as an upgrade to anyone who adds my PPA, but rejected
> by anyone who already has the official 1.12 once a version including
> that is released. That seems to be how this project is coding its
> versions too, right?
>
> Only serious issue I heard Guillaume raise is this:
>
> "If you want to work on this, I think the main issue you'll encounter is
> to get a current wxWidgets release. You need at least 2.8.8 on Linux
> IIRC. 2.8.11 (released last week IIRC) would be great but not required."
>
> That breaks down like this:
>
> Hardy: 2.8.7.1 ; won't support
> Intrepid: 2.8.8.0; might get lucky and this works, sounds a little
> close to the edge here.

After a little search on pgadmin-support (thread "Weird Popup Menus -
pgAdmin 1.8.4"), I better remember the issue. The shortcuts in menu were
badly displayed on GTK. I sent them a patch, that they applied for the
2.8.8 release. So, Intrepid should be fine.

It also means pgAdmin won't crash. But shortcuts would appear quite
weird (like this "F_ile").

> Jaunty: 2.8.9.1. This is my main target, so fine here
> Karmic: 2.8.10.1
> Lucid: 2.8.10.1

Sure.

> That would make the target support list:
>
> Dapper, Fesity: V1.6.3 from pgAdmin site
> Gutsy: V1.8.0 from pgAdmin site
> Hardy: V1.8.2 from Ubuntu universe, possible PPA version too but not
> going to push it if there's problems
> Intrepid: V1.8.4 from Ubuntu universe, V1.11.0 PPA
> Jaunty: V1.8.4 from Ubuntu universe, V1.11.0 PPA
> Karmic: V1.10 from Ubuntu universe, V1.11.0 PPA
> Lucid: V1.10.1 from Ubuntu universe, V1.11.0 PPA
> Minx: V1.12.1 from Ubuntu universe (hopefully)

1.11 in PPA would be great. I only use the devel release I compile, but
I know a few users that will be pleased with it.

Thanks.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org