Re: Feature Matrix + 8.5a3

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: w^3 <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Feature Matrix + 8.5a3
Date: 2010-02-04 18:04:48
Lists: pgsql-www

Thom Brown wrote:
> I've just noticed the addition of 8.5a3 to the feature matrix on the
> live site. I'm wondering if we should be displaying this at all,
> especially since there will never actually be a final 8.5, or an 8.5a4
> for that matter.

heh we used to not track in-development versions but I received a fair
amount of feedback that people would like to get this kind of "dashboard
overview" also for the alpha's(which are a new concept as well)

> Also, I think it's a bit dubious including "contrib/hstore
> improvements" as feature in its own right. Surely that's merely an
> enhancement of an existing feature? I thought the purpose of the
> feature matrix was to give a fairly high level list of features and
> show which releases they are available in, not enhancements to single
> features? Going down this path means the feature matrix has the
> potential to grow out of control, effectively becoming more like a
> change log... or I'm being too pedantic.

agreed - it's always a tradeoff, right now the FM is pretty much at it's
limit both in terms of features and also in the sheer number of
releases. I have some hopes that with the new website infrastructure we
will be able to make it a bit more dynamic (as in providing a way to
only show certain versions and stuff like that)
Desciding on adding that feature but not another one is always kind of
hard, though I agree that the one you highlighted might be a candidate
for removal.

Stefan