Re: Updating Ubuntu package info

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, pgadmin-support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Updating Ubuntu package info
Date: 2010-02-04 13:10:08
Lists: pgadmin-support

Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 9:19 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
>
>> We still produce minor releases to 1.10, no? I certainly don't suggest
>> we back-patch past that, but we do backpatch to the *latest* stable
>> branch.
>>

> Right - but 1.10 already checks the maximum and minimum supported
> version numbers and warns the user if they're outside that range.

Yes, but that doesn't make the user very happy--just better informed
about why they're dead in the water. I'd hate to see the next Long-Term
support version of Debian and Ubuntu, both likely to hang around a
while, have versions of pgAdmin that are fundamentally incompatible with
the next PG version, due in only a few months. Seems bad from an
advocacy perspective. And it looks like that's exactly how it's going
to play out unless something gets done very soon here, which I just
realized myself today.

Obviously backpatching past 1.10 is silly. There seem to be three
potentially useful ideas that would improve the state of this part of
the world:

1) The documentation update I already suggested, bringing the Ubuntu
page back to current and then reasonable to link on the main download
section again.

2) Backpatch basic 9.0 support into a V1.10.2 release. That could work
like this:

a) Release 1.10.2 with this fix ASAP--if that can't happen within a week
or less, the rest of what I'm suggesting is probably dead.
b) Ask Gerfried to update Debian Squeeze testing to use that version.
Their deadline is March so this should just happen in time.
c) Try to get the Ubuntu Lynx distribution to pull that one instead of
the currently planned one before the "LTSDebianImportFreeze" on February
11th, or if that's just missed apply for an exception and try to pull it
in just before the more serious freeze on February 18.

3) Add a new PPA that builds from the daily snapshots, or (if V1.10.2 is
released) from that one instead.

Doing just (3) is probably sufficient to make my problems go away, and
now that I know nobody else has that on their radar I'll start looking
into it. Now that I realize the scope of the problem here, it would be
nice to consider a broader plan too. Anybody know Gerfried well enough
to ping for his opinion here?

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.com