Re: development setup and libdir

From: Mark Cave-Ayland <mark(dot)cave-ayland(at)siriusit(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: development setup and libdir
Date: 2010-01-31 22:24:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:

> Of course I can write a script that can workaround this.
> It seems that the only thing missing is that pgxs 8.3 used to
> prefix .so with lib and then rename them at install time, but pgxs
> 8.4 build them directly without prefix.
> I'm just speculating this is the issue and it is the only one I
> still have to solve... but... what's going to happen next release?
> Wouldn't it be better if make install could install stuff where I
> ask so I could put modules in different places *even* for the same
> installation of postgres?

FWIW the soon-to-be-released PostGIS 1.5 has an "out of place"
regression testing feature that allows PostGIS to be built using PGXS
and regression tested without putting anything in the PostgreSQL
installation directory itself.

It's a little bit of a hack, but take a look at the PGXS makefile and
the regression makefile to see how it all works:

http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/browser/trunk/postgis/Makefile.in
http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/browser/trunk/regress/Makefile.in

HTH,

Mark.