Re: development setup and libdir

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
To: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: development setup and libdir
Date: 2010-01-31 04:44:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo escreveu:
> I'm pretty sure that what you're pointing at is not going to work
> unless you specify a bunch of other parameters.

Ugh? Are you saying there is something wrong in our *official* documentation?
It is just a normal compilation command; if you're a C programmer you'll have
no problem.

> Once you ask... people direct you to pgxs. pgxs seems a good
> choice... a newcomer like me thinks... well that was made exactly to
> pick up all the information it needs from the environment and build
> my module.

Again, PGXS was developed to make packagers' life easier. Why on earth I want
to install my library in a path different from $libdir? Packagers don't.
Besides, PGXS won't work on Windows unless you're using a installation built
using MinGW.

> connection, but still different version of pgxs gives different
> names to .so.

What the problem with that? If it set up the right name in sql file that's OK.

IMHO, you're trying to complicate a simple process. If you messed up your
installation you can always do:

$ cd mymodule
$ USE_PGXS=1 make uninstall

--