Re: development setup and libdir

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
To: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: development setup and libdir
Date: 2010-01-31 00:25:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo escreveu:
> That's pretty expensive.

Ugh?

> I mean... I just would like my .so end up with the expected name
> somewhere else.
It's just two command lines [1].

> Wouldn't it be better if make install could install stuff where I
> ask so I could put modules in different places *even* for the same
> installation of postgres?
Why do you want to mess your installation? Besides, you will need to add the
install path in dynamic_library_path and or the absolute path to your CREATE
FUNCTION script. Man, that's too much work for a packager! Of course, you can
always build on your way; that's up to you.

> I mean... what's so weird about being able to develop postgres
> modules without requiring people build the whole postgresql or
> switching back and forward from root?

Ugh? You don't need root; I mean, you can always set absolute path or even the
dynamic_library_path [2] parameter.

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/xfunc-c.html#DFUNC
[2]
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/runtime-config-client.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-CLIENT-OTHER