Re: PG 9.0 and standard_conforming_strings

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 9.0 and standard_conforming_strings
Date: 2010-01-29 21:20:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> I stand by the position that it's way too late in the cycle for
> insufficiently-thought-out proposals for major behavioral changes.

I don't see how announcing this earlier in the dev cycle would help, at
all.  The people who read -hackers have been using
standards-conforming-strings for years.  Further, if we announce it now,
people have 4-5 months to get ready for it, assuming they were updating
to 9.0.0 anyway, which I doubt anyone is.

For this release, I'm already planning to have  big "backwards
compatibility" section and web page with *lots* of warnings and
explanations, and because of the media around the release for once it
will be read.

I'd argue that Bruce is right; if we're not going to do it now, we might
as well stop pretending we ever are.

--Josh Berkus