Re: BUG #5299: unable to start postgres service

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Savita" <savita(dot)halli(at)gmail(dot)com>,<pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5299: unable to start postgres service
Date: 2010-01-29 19:15:53
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Savita" <savita(dot)halli(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I have installed postgres. When I check the status of postgres
> service I get it is not running. But when I start pg_ctl start it
> says server starting. But server is actually not started. How do
> we get debug information for pg_ctl start?

This doesn't sound like a bug; it's probably an installation or
configuration problem. Another list, like admin, general, or novice
would be more appropriate.

When it says it is starting, that means it is attempting to start.
Apparently it is not succeeding. There should be some sort of log
entries, either to the console or to a file, if you specified the -l
switch to pg_ctl. Assuming you have permission to write to the
directory specified by -l and you haven't redirected the log to
/dev/null or some such, you should find something there which will
probably be useful.

-Kevin