Re: Segmentation fault occurs when the standby becomes primary, in SR

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Segmentation fault occurs when the standby becomes primary, in SR
Date: 2010-01-28 19:23:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fujii Masao wrote:
> When I created the trigger file to activate the standby server,
> I got the segmentation fault:

> The attached patch would fix the bug.

Thanks, committed. (I kept the old comment, though, I liked it better)

Now, whether we should even allow setting up a standby without
restore_command is another question. It's *possible*, but you need to
enable archiving in the master anyway to take an on-line backup, and you
need the archive to catch up if the standby ever falls behind too much.

Then again, if the database is small, maybe you don't mind taking a new
base backup if the standby falls behind. And you *can* take a base
backup with a dummy archive_command (ie. archive_command='/bin/true'),
if you trust that the WAL files stay in pg_xlog long enough for standby
to stream them from there.

Perhaps we should require a restore_command. If you know what you're
doing, you can always use '/bin/false' as restore_command to hack around it.

--
Heikki Linnakangas