Re: Settings for aggressive vacuum

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Julien Theulier" <julien(at)squidsolutions(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Settings for aggressive vacuum
Date: 2010-01-27 17:08:50
Lists: pgsql-admin
"Julien Theulier" <julien(at)squidsolutions(dot)com> wrote:

> So currently I am doing full vacuums + recollect stats daily at
> the end of the loading process
>
> Is there another way (in particular avoiding the full vacuum &
> save loading time) to not keep or clean these old versions of the
> updated rows. There is a full backup done regularly + procedures
> for recovery. But I am not very familiar with auto vacuum settings
> so I don't know what to choose.

I hope that by "full vacuum" you don't mean VACUUM FULL; that would
bloat indexes over time.  A VACUUM ANALYZE VERBOSE would be a
reasonable approach after the bulk load/delete step, if it completes
in a reasonable time without hurting performance.  Write the output
to disk and review it to see whether your fsm settings are good and
where you have bloat.

If you're already doing this and have some particular problem, could
you elaborate on what the problem is?

-Kevin