Re: Wanted: new project slogan

From: Scott Bailey <artacus(at)comcast(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Wanted: new project slogan
Date: 2010-01-26 23:34:16
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
David Fetter wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 09:06:17AM -0800, Richard Broersma wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 8:52 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>>> PostgreSQL
>>> The Open Source Database
>> How about:
>>
>> The 'Open' Open Source Database
>
> If the Firebird copyrights are in intentionally limited hands, we can
> go with this. :)

Well if not their code, then certainly their documentation. You pretty
much have to purchase a book to do anything.

But I'd hope we're past the stage of comparing ourselves with MySQL or
Firebird. Instead we should focus on what makes us attractive to Oracle,
DB2 or SQL Server shops.

When working on some databases, especially SQL Server, I always get so
frustrated with how difficult everything is. So maybe a slogan like:
   PostgreSQL - Enjoy your database again
   PostgreSQL - The database you'll love
   PostgreSQL - Setting the standard for following the standard

Obviously the hit on Oracle is the cost, management and intrusiveness.
   Because transaction processing need not involve your credit card
   PostgreSQL - Because your database shouldn't manage you
   PostgreSQL - Power without a 6 figure baby sitter

And if we really need to poke at MySQL then:
   PostgreSQL - Licensed to kill

Ok, well all of my suggestions suck. But you get the point.

Scott