Re: Dividing progress/debug information in pg_standby, and stat before copy

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Dividing progress/debug information in pg_standby, and stat before copy
Date: 2010-01-25 22:27:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> I can scan through the code tonight and look for other cases where
> this might be an issue. The main thing I'm looking for is to
> distinguish between harmful and non-harmful errors.

Where I think this is going toward is where every line that comes out of
this program gets tagged with an explicit log level, same as everything
else in the server and using the same terminology (LOG, INFO, WARNING,
DEBUG), and we just need to make sure those levels are appropriate given
the severity of the message.  I was planning a similar sweep through all
the messages the program produces to classify them like that, I have a
starter set of suggestions from Simon to chew on I'm working through.

> Yes, a wrapper is desperately needed with timestamps.

Right--that's something I too was planning to add eventually too, so we
might as well get the right infrastructure in there to make that easy
while we're mucking around with all this logging anyway.

I'll touch base with you later this week once I've done my initial pass
through all this; not sure we need to drag this list through all those
details until we've got a unified patch to propose.