Re: Commission clears Oracle's proposed acquisition of Sun Microsystems

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Rob Napier <rob(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au>
Cc: Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Richard Broersma <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>, damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>, Rafael Martinez <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Commission clears Oracle's proposed acquisition of Sun Microsystems
Date: 2010-01-25 19:12:56
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

>> However, there are not many people who think like the EC about
>> PostgreSQL. Unfortunately, in Italy, the major IT online magazine has
>> only pointed out that Florian Muller thinks that PostgreSQL can't be a
>> valid alternative.

Well, Florian has a point in that there currently isn't a worldwide
tier-1 support company backing PostgreSQL. So regardless of technical
merit, it's not the same kind of competitive force which MySQL was, *yet*.

It's also a bit of bizarre reasoning that having one successful open
source SQL database is enough for the market.

*however*, it was my opinion that Sun had already effectively destroyed
the MySQL commercial business, and that regardless of who bought Sun,
MySQL as a centralized commercial entity would be finished. For that
matter, before the Sun acquisition, MySQL **as a commercial product**
was a smaller database business than Filemaker, and I don't imagine the
EC would hold anti-trust hearings over acquiring that.

--Josh Berkus