Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Alastair \"Bell\" Turner" <thebellhead(at)gmail(dot)com>, Cédric Villemain <cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql
Date: 2010-01-25 18:47:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> My problem with this whole idea is that it seems to be very MySQL-specific.
>> Why aren't we providing help for users migrating from Oracle, Sybase,
>> Informix, Ingres, DB2, SQLServer and Firebird, to name but a few? And if we
>> turn all those on by default, we'll have a pretty horrible banner when
>> starting psql.

We should do all of those. However, we have to start somewhere.

Therefore, I like the idea of having a switch, like:
\advice mysql
\advice db2
etc.

ALSO, I'll point out that a page in our official documentation with
extensive docs on commands and migration issues would be far more
helpful than any amount of psql messages. Just sayin'.

--Josh Berkus