Re: Dividing progress/debug information in pg_standby, and stat before copy

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Dividing progress/debug information in pg_standby, and stat before copy
Date: 2010-01-25 18:34:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1/25/10 9:45 AM, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I poked around a little at pg_standby because of some 'cp: file does
> not exist' errors that were cropping up as pg_standby searched around
> for .history files.
>
> I added a stat that still outputs debugging information but now we
> don't get cp failures, and then added a 'progress' mode. It was a bit
> of a semantic stretch, but '-l' had been used for 'link' in the past.

We discussed this issue at LCA where I encountered these bogus error
messages when I was doing the demo of HS. I consider Selena's patch to
be a bug-fix for beta of 9.0, not a feature. Currently the database
reports a lot of false error messages when running in standby mode, and
once we have 1000's more users using standby mode, we're going to see a
lot of related confusion.

The searching for files it doesn't need also delays standby for 15-45s,
so this is a performance fix as well.

--Josh Berkus