how to speed ilike

From: Julius Tuskenis <julius(at)nsoft(dot)lt>
To: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: how to speed ilike
Date: 2010-01-25 12:23:09
Lists: pgsql-admin

I have a task to make postgres find user records no matter if they are
spelled correctly. In particular I have to find names with Lithuanian
letters even if the user searches using latin letters. For example
search criteria 'kestas' should find 'Kęstas'. I've made a function that
converts lithuanian letters to latin and use it like fnk_latin(username)
ILIKE fnk_latin('kestas'). It works OK.

Now the problem is performance. On test data base I have 20000 records
of users, and it takes 3 seconds to get result. On production database
there could be a lot more. How would you advice to improve performance?
Maybe some special index would help? As user names are update rarely
it's the read speed I'm interested in.

Julius Tuskenis
Programavimo skyriaus vadovas
UAB nSoft