Re: splitting data into multiple tables

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "nair rajiv" <nair331(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: splitting data into multiple tables
Date: 2010-01-25 17:47:22
Lists: pgsql-performance

nair rajiv <nair331(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I found there is a table which will approximately have 5 crore
> entries after data harvesting.
> Is it advisable to keep so much data in one table ?

That's 50,000,000 rows, right? At this site, you're looking at a
non-partitioned table with more than seven times that if you go to a
case and click the "Court Record Events" button:

http://wcca.wicourts.gov/

> I have read about 'partitioning' a table. An other idea I have is
> to break the table into different tables after the no of rows in
> a table has reached a certain limit say 10 lacs.
> For example, dividing a table 'datatable' to 'datatable_a',
> 'datatable_b' each having 10 lac entries.
> I needed advice on whether I should go for partitioning or the
> approach I have thought of.

It can help, and it can hurt. It depends on the nature of the data
and how it is used. To get a meaningful answer, I think we'd need
to know a bit more about it.

> We have a HP server with 32GB ram,16 processors. The storage has
> 24TB diskspace (1TB/HD).
> We have put them on RAID-5. It will be great if we could know the
> parameters that can be changed in the postgres configuration file
> so that the database makes maximum utilization of the server we
> have.

Again, it depends a bit on the nature of the queries. For ideas on
where to start, you might want to look here:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server

If you get any particular queries which aren't performing as well as
you think they should, you can post here with details. See this for
information to include:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SlowQueryQuestions

-Kevin