Re: Questions about connection clean-up and "invalid page header"

From: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)unicell(dot)co(dot)il>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Questions about connection clean-up and "invalid page header"
Date: 2010-01-25 10:09:33
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Scott Marlowe wrote:

> You can shorten the tcp_keepalive settings so that dead connections
> get detected faster.

Thanks, I'll ask my sysadmin to do that.

> Might be, but not very likely. I and many others run pgsql in
> production environments where it handles thousands of updates /
> inserts per minute with no corruption. We run on server class
> hardware with ECC memory and large RAID arrays with no corruption.

Someone pointed out to me, though, that comparing data warehouse systems
to production systems is like Apples and Oranges - we also have a
production system that, as you say, makes millions of inserts and
updates per hour. It works very well with PostgreSQL - a lot better than
with Sybase with which we worked previously. But the reports system on
which I work makes bulk inserts using calculations based on complicated
joins and each transaction is long and memory-consuming, as opposed to
the production system, where each transaction takes a few milliseconds
and is cleared immediately.

So far this only happened to me in the development server, and if it
really is a matter of hardware, I'm not worried. What I am worried is if
there really is some sort of bug that may carry to our production
reports system.
> Have you run something as simple as memtest86+ on your machine to see
> if it's got bad memory?

I'll tell my sysadmin to do that. Thank you.

>> We are currently using PostgreSQL v. 8.3.1 on the server side.
>>

> You should really update to the latest 8.3.x version (around 8.3.8 or
> so). It's simple and easy, and it's possible you've hit a bug in an
> older version of 8.3.

OK, I'll also try to get that done.

Thanks for your help,
Herouth