Re: Ticket 117: Explain Buffers

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Ticket 117: Explain Buffers
Date: 2010-01-23 18:20:00
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Magnus Hagander escreveu:
> While you're whacking around the explain code, one thing that has
> always nagged me, is that ANALYZE is an option for EXPLAIN. IMO we
> should have "Explain" and "Explain Analyze" as separate commands,
> because they actually do different things. And then options for things
> like verbose, costs, buffers etc. If we're going to change that ever,
> now is probably the best time :-)

+1. It always annoys me too.

There is another improvement that we could change: EXPLAIN VERBOSE could
generate graphical output too. I understand the reason why we don't generate
it (that's because of the long text output) but in 8.4 or later that noisy
output was wiped out. It' so trivial that it is attached.

Another must-fix is to have new machine-readable formats in multiple lines on
'Data Output'. Sorry, don't have time to figure out now...

--
  Euler Taveira de Oliveira
  http://www.timbira.com/