Re: Largeobject Access Controls (r2460)

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Greg Smith" <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "KaiGai Kohei" <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Takahiro Itagaki" <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Jaime Casanova" <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>
Subject: Re: Largeobject Access Controls (r2460)
Date: 2010-01-22 21:02:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Do you have the opportunity to try an experiment on hardware
> similar to what you're running that on?  Create a database with 7
> million tables and see what the dump/restore times are like, and
> whether pg_dump/pg_restore appear to be CPU-bound or
> memory-limited when doing it.

If these can be empty (or nearly empty) tables, I can probably swing
it as a background task.  You didn't need to match the current 1.3
TB database size I assume?

> If they aren't, we could conclude that millions of TOC entries
> isn't a problem.

I'd actually be rather more concerned about the effects on normal
query plan times, or are you confident that won't be an issue?

> A compromise we could consider is some sort of sub-TOC-entry
> scheme that gets the per-BLOB entries out of the main speed
> bottlenecks, while still letting us share most of the logic.  For
> instance, I suspect that the first bottleneck in pg_dump would be
> the dependency sorting, but we don't really need to sort all the
> blobs individually for that.

That might also address the plan time issue, if it actually exists.

-Kevin