Re: PostgreSQL backup idea

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Renato Oliveira" <renato(dot)oliveira(at)grant(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL backup idea
Date: 2010-01-20 16:04:21
Lists: pgsql-admin
I just noticed that the list has not been copied on most of this
exchange.  Please keep the list copied, as others are likely to
contribute useful ideas.

Renato Oliveira <renato(dot)oliveira(at)grant(dot)co(dot)uk> wrote:

> Can I ask few questions about it, if possible?

Sure.  Please keep it "on list", though.

> We are running Linux Redhat 4.

That should make building from source pretty easy.

> [postgres(at)78674-db1 ~]$ pg_config
> VERSION = PostgreSQL 8.2.4

> [postgres(at)db2 ~]$ pg_config
> VERSION = PostgreSQL 8.3.4

Well, there's your problem, right there.  Your primary is 8.2.4, but
your secondary is 8.3.4.  The other information matches nicely and
there were no special build options -- it's just that there are two
different major versions of PostgreSQL here, and PITR backups
definitely won't deal with that.

Is there a reason for having your secondary server on a newer major
release (like there was some query which wouldn't run correctly or
within a reasonable amount of time without it)?

Wait -- I just had a thought.  Old version copying to new version.
Slony in the mix.  This sounds like a situation where the old DBA
was trying to use Slony to upgrade with minimal down time.  Problem
was, you haven't been able to keep the newer version up-to-date
through Slony, so you couldn't cut over?  If that's the situation,
it changes the focus.  And it also means we need someone who
understands Slony in the discussion....

-Kevin

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Ray StellDate: 2010-01-20 16:18:22